Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Randomness Of It All...


Aloha Kakou!!

Well, it has certainly been quite a while since I've been writing here on the Eluaworld Blog...it has been quite an action packed few months, of which I will talk about a little later...but something happened the other day that got me to thinking about something. Let me start with this:









What is this you might ask? Well, this is a rather small, (in the scheme of things) dent that we have in the front of our car. How did it get there? Well, on a drive to Kona, we were heading up the Hamakua Coast when a truck on the other side of the road flung out a rock...it flew towards us and what you see is the result. It made a rather loud clunk, and I didn't think much of it, until Leialoha pointed out the damage when we were parked in Kona. Well, it certainly bummed us out, as we have only had the car for a short time, but the more I reflected on it, the more I thought of the seeming randomness with which things occur in our lives. Let's use this rock meets car event as an example.

To start, imagine if we had left the house only five minutes later or five minutes sooner. Chances are we would not have this dent. But, if we had left the house five seconds later then we did that day, the stone may very well have flew up into the windshield, caused much greater damage and possible bodily harm. Of course, you can play this game to the nth degree...what if the truck driver had stopped for gas...what if the load of rocks that he was carrying was not full enough to spill over the sides and let one drop onto the highway...what if, what if, what if. Then I got to thinking about this:





What are the seemingly random events that led Leialoha into my life and me into hers? Well, on my side, there was my Mother deciding to go to nursing school in Boston. It was there that she met my Aunty Bobby, (she was a class ahead of her) who was married to my Uncle Donny who was my father's best friend and they set my parents up. Take that a step farther, and if my father and my Uncle Donny had never met when they were young men...and my father had never taken up piano...well, you can play this game from all sides for the better part of eternity. I guess it is related to the Butterfly Effect...if you have never heard of it, check this out: Butterfly Effect In all of our lives, in every aspect of our life, it seems that we are just one milisecond or one centimeter away from a totally different reality. So, take a few moments, or a few hours, or a few days to think about the randomness in our lives and how wonderful it can make it.

So, in keeping with the seeming randomness of things, let me insert a video here...but not just any one...it will be the first video I can find from the first artist that plays from my iTunes Library when I spin it and stop...here goes...and the winner is...The Brothers Cazimero...and here is the first video I find on YouTube when I do a search:



Well...that worked out rather well...I think I may try that again sometime. Try playing that at home as well...could be fun!


So, where have we been all these months? Five months to be exact? Well, we were of course on the Golden Princess for the Hawaiian season, and what a great season it was. So many ukulele players and hula dancers and listeners and lei makers...truly a great season! Right now we are back at home in Hilo. BUT, Leialoha and I had the most wonderful experience as Princess asked us to go to Japan to cruise on the Sun Princess and perform Hawaiian music for the passengers, and to implement a mini-cultural program. The Japanese people are crazy for Hawaiian music, ukulele, hula and the guests on the Sun Princess were wonderful to us. They were especially enamored of the sounds of the steel guitar, as to most, that is the sound they associate with the islands, and I loved playing it for them. Leialoha's hula class was packed every time and they were some very lovely dancers on the cruise. We are hoping to find a way back next summer without interfering with our "regular" season, and also give us some time at home.  so I will keep everyone posted. I am going to try to find some pictures to share with all of you from our time in Japan. It is a beautiful country, with wonderful people and some of the best food we have ever had...MANY pictures of that will be shared!

Now we are home in Hilo and we had a wonderful month long visit from my mother Doris who was in from Boston. We are also expecting our good friend David Cole for a visit as well in September. David is a dear friend of ours who we have worked with numerous times over the years, and between the three of us, we developed the Hawaiian cultural program that Princess has on its Hawaiian itinerary ships. We have been enjoying all that Hilo has to offer...we take drives around the island, we listen to local music, we shop at the Hilo Farmer's Market, and Leialoha and I are diving into baking. But, we also have work to do...lots of work. We are finally going to get our Elua website active, as well as getting Leialoha's going for KiniKreations, her outlet and business for her Hawaiian crafts. The long awaited hula video is in progress as well. I will also be working on another steel guitar CD, as well as another ukulele play-a-long CD. So, as the summer passes, keep checking back for updates and some sneak peeks at the tracks.

So, for today, I will say aloha...but I will return...VERY soon!

Malama Pono,
Dave
(of Elua)

3 comments:

  1. Greetings David --

    Mahalo nui for your post. Yes, it has been quite a long time. It was good to learn that you and Leialoha are happy and healthy. Are you sticking to your diet? Did you enjoy the wine I left for you? I look forward to hearing more of the Japanese cruise.

    Aloha, Elinor Teska

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Elinor,
    We enjoyed the wine very much...it didn't last very long! Yes, I am sticking to my diet, more or less and still heading to the gym almost every day...I better, since I threw out my "fat clothes"...no turning back. It's a little harder to stay strong here at home, as there is so much great local food...but I just take things in moderation and don't kill myself by saying no to everything...but I do say no to seconds!

    Aloha Nui,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my friend,

    Great to see you back at the keyboard (computer)! Sorry about the KIA. Great photo of you and Leialoha, if I do say so myself. LOL
    Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete